Monday, October 11, 2004

Monkey See, Monkey Do

The Feared Redhead and I went to Costco today to get our eye exams and order contact lenses, an annual ritual. While I was waiting for her to finish her exam, I moseyed over to the book tables. The had a political section, with an interesting assortment of offerings both conservative and liberal, including Ann Coulter's Treason and Kitty Kelly's book (the title escapes me).

Among the books I found this current hot item:



I'm familiar withthe book, but to be honest, I'm probably one of three conservatives in the country who has not read it yet. Not for any moral or ethical reasons, but just because I really don't need convincing at this point, and I have other things on which to spend my money.

But what caught my attention was the book right next to it:



Mind you, I believe in freedom of speech and the press, and everyone has a right to their opinion. but this is just pitiful. Look at it. The fonts are similar, the picture is similar, the title is similar -- and not in a clever, spoofing kind of way. Even Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 911" is a somewhat clever play on a book title -- for all of its shortcomings, I'll give it that. But this is not a witty entendre. This allusion to the Swifties' book lacks any semblance of originality of thought. This is the literary equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?" Come on, Left, you can do better than that.

Can't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment