Monday, February 13, 2006

More Than Meets the Eye

Thanks for the Memory to Ace of Spades HQ.

Let's face it. Boys like toys that are loud and mechanical and make lots of noise -- or at least give us an excuse to make noise. We like toy cars and trucks and tanks and planes. And we LOVE giant robots. As a young man, one of the RPG/Wargames I was seriously into was Battletech. I remember as a kid the whole Transformers/GoBots craze. That one to me seemed the least plausible -- the whole robots that can transform into vehicles concept.

I stand corrected. OK, so it's barely bigger than a toy. It IS a toy, probably. But it's proof-of-concept. That's pretty cool.

I'm still not sure what the real world applications would be, even if they can build a working full-sized vehicle. The military applications are iffy -- the taller the vehicle, the easier to hit. But if someone can find a way to make it useful, whatever the application, I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment