Friday, August 13, 2004

Bon Apetit, Angels!

Via TacJammer:

Julia Childs has passed away. All those who love to cook will mourn her passing.

The modern craze of cooking shows can be traced back to a handful of pioneers, among them the Galloping Gourmet and Julia Childs.

I used to love to make fun of her, doing my own "a little more wine" routine lampooning her. But once I started watching cooking shows, and saw what a gracious, patient, good humored lady she was, I shut up. I remember watching her appear as a guest on Martha Stewart's show, and thinking how maddeningly condescending Martha seemed towards her. But Julia took it all in stride. She was unflappable, calm, and a damned good cook. She was Yoda with a skillet.

She taught America how to cook. She will be missed.

Update:
The Food Network will be airing a Tribute to Julia on Sunday, August 22. I'll be watching. So should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment