Saturday, September 11, 2004

It's Been a While

So I thought I'd do a Top Ten List.

Despite the obvious Memogate temptation, I decided not to go for humor. Also, this time I'll be counting up from number 1 to 10.

So without further ado,
My Top 10 Favorite Works of Literature:

1. The Bible

Yeah, cliche. So sue me. It's true. My father was a pastor, so I grew up around the Bible. I studied it in Bible college. As a Christian, I try to continue learning from it and following it.

2. The Chronicles of Narnia

As a child, my mother would read these to me on long trips. She'd always stop reading at a point of suspense. This is what got me hooked on reading from a young age.

3. World Book Encyclopedia

We were poor, so when I became a voracious reader, my father bought an old encyclopedia set at a garage sale, and scrounged up some high school Literature class textbooks for me when I was around 8 or 9. I blame them for my advanced reading skills.

4. Anything Else Written by C.S. Lewis

Starting with God in the Dock, assigned as a college text, and including works such as Mere Christianity, Surprised by Joy, and others, C.S. Lewis became the most influential thinker to shape my view of Christianity, Philosophy, and Reason.

5. Lord of the Rings

Yeah, again, I know. But it really moved me. I read the trilogy for the first time as a young adult having just been forced out of college, unsure of where my life was going. Tolkien became my favorite fiction author just as his friend is my favorite non-fiction writer.

6. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

This book had a strong influence on my view of faith, grace, and Christian ethics.

7. Through Gates of Splendor by Elizabeth Elliot

The story of a group of Christian Missionaries who were martyred in South America. A very moving story, and again, one that forced me to examine my commitment to my faith.

8. Between Heaven and Hell by Peter Kreeft

A great book for comparing world views. Admittedly sympathetic to Christianity, as the author is a Christian.

9. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

Growing up in the Western US, the Civil War is not as personal as it is for those who grow up in the Eastern US. This was the book that woke me to my heritage.

10. John Adams by David McCullough

This one just joined the list, and I'm currently reading it. A very insightful look at the life of one of our greatest founding patriots, and very relevant to today's political debate.

Honorable Mention: Anything by Ray Bradbury

My second favorite storyteller and favorite Sci Fi author.

Honorable Mention II: I'm Just Here For the Food by Alton Brown

Smart, funny, and a good cook. It's like reading a mirror. Yeah, I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment