Wednesday, November 03, 2004

This, Dr. Jones, this IS History.

Last night my feelings were mostly of relief as I watched a tight race finally come out in my candidate's favor.

This morning, as you may have read into my last post, came the giddiness. Not just giddiness. Elation. Joy. Exultation. Unmitigated happiness, excitement, and yes, a bit of gloating.

Blogfather Rusty thinks I may have engaged in hyperbole when I uttered the comment "The Republic was saved by itself." Maybe. He may be right that it would have taken more than a Kerry presidency to destroy the country. Probably so.

But I can't help getting a sense that I was just a part of something very big, and very good. The sense of pride, of accomplishment, and of weight off my shoulders is also enhanced by a feeling, an intuition, that history was made.

Ace of Spades agrees. He calls it the most important election in fifty years. And while I'd argue that Reagan's election might arguably give it a run for its money, I do think that this election, as a follow-up to the 2000 election, definitely sets a great tone for the century.

There's a tired old cliche that there are three kinds of people in this world -- those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who ask, "what happened?"

Today I feel like I was in the first group.

No comments:

Post a Comment