Monday, October 31, 2005

Groggy Breakfast

It's been a while since I invented a new recipe, and as you can see, my carnivalless stats have suffered for it.

But this weekend, I was inspired. I had made Bananas Foster a few nights earlier, and was in a "Cooking with Rum" mood. TFR had made mention that she hadn't had raisin bread French toast in a while (which is a hint), so I decided to combine the two:

Rum Raisin French Toast

3 large grade AA eggs
1/4 cup rum*
1/2 pint half and half
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon
4-8 slices raisin bread

crack eggs into a wide, shallow bowl (a Corelle 9x9 glass baking crock works perfectly). Beat until light and foamy. Whisk in vanilla, rum, half and half, and cinammon. place raisin bread slices in mixture 2 at a time and turn over once, soaking for approxomately 5-10 seconds a side. Place in a lightly oiled skillet or griddle, cook over medium heat until golden brown, truning over once.

Preferences for serving French toast vary, so go with what you prefer -- syrup, whipped cream, whatever. Personally, I like a little bit of unsalted butter and a generous sprinkling of powdered sugar.

*When cooking with rum, I prefer it to be as dark as possible. My favorite for this is Cruzan Black Strap Naval Tradition, a rum so dark it makes Myers seem like Bacardi Gold -- it tastes, as I've mentioned before, like spiked molasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment