Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Home and Away

Recently the Redhead Who is to be Feared and I took a drive to the coast for seafood and fresh air. While there, we met a couple visiting from New Jersey. In the midst of their effusive praise for the beauty of Oregon, they observed that you don't see that many Oregon license plates outside the state. the gentleman theorized that it's because there's so much to see and do here, Oregonians don't feel the need to cross state lines.

Interesting theory. I wonder if there's ever been a study or survey done on the ratio of states' populations that travel to other states versus those who stay nearer home. I'll have to do a google search one of these days, if I ever get the time.

Update:

Thanks for the Memory to Mom.

The same day I posted this, my mom then sent me an email pointing out that USAToday has rated Florence, Oregon the best place in the country to retire.

I'm a bit too young to be thinking about retirement yet, but I can tell you, Florence is a great place tio visit at the very least. It's about an hour west of me on the coast, and it's pretty much the border town between Oregon's South Coast and Central Coast. South of Florence lie the Oregon Dunes, to the north the Coast Range returns to the sea and PCH rises up to skirt sheer cliffs and fir-covered mountains. Sea Lion Caves and Heceta Head Lighthouse are within 20 minutes drive. One of the oddest and most interesting things to see in Florence is the Darlingtonia Wayside, where you'll find an entire bog filled with carnivorous pitcher plants (Darlintonia california), also known as the hooded cobra lily. Also, Moe's, famous for its clam chowder, and a great waterfron shopping district.

No comments:

Post a Comment